The foredeck is an
active area of the Coaster when underway. Besides allowing unrivaled
views from the bow, it is home to: the two windlasses and capstan.
There are engine controls and autopilot to
allow full helm capabilities from the bow. This makes docking
shorthanded easy and an alternate helm station while underway.
The hydraulic windlasses have performed flawlessly.
The 1/2 inch chain is very heavy making riding at anchor comfortable and
quiet. The hawse holes exit the hull just above the waterline, so
that less chain is required to give adequate scope on the anchor.
Switched to Claw anchors in 1996 since
the original Danforths had problems with holding especially with any
change in the wind direction. The Claws have always held whenever we
have had them down. Getting the Claws back up in the hawse holes was
tricky until the "anchor tool" was perfected in 2004. This large
stainless tool can easily spin either Claw anchor to align it into the
hawse hole, making anchor retrieval quick and secure (see photos).
The capstan is a lifesaver to pull in dock lines against a load. The
deck was reinforced with stainless steel above deck and mild steel below
deck, so that this foredeck can handle anything.
The Pilothouse roof is the platform for all the antennas, radar, and searchlight.
The short mast is easily folded down to allow bridge passage of 21
feet. The boat deck above the master stateroom is 18 feet long and
has one cradle and a Marquipt hydraulic crane for handling our Zodiac tender.
The foredeck deck has a crane with a Warn winch for handling miscellaneous items.
- Two Claw Anchors, 110 pounds each (foredeck)
- 1/2 inch High Tensile Chain, 220 feet on each anchor (4.7 pounds per foot) (foredeck)
- Two Ideal Hydraulic Windlasses with controls (foredeck)
- Ideal Capstan with controls (foredeck)
- Custom Anchor Tool (boat deck)
- Microcommander Electronic Engine Controls (foredeck)
- RayMarine Autopilot Control Head (foredeck)
- One Warn 3700 DC winche, 12 volt (foredeck)
- One Marquipt MarQ 8 hydraulic crane, 120 volt, 800 lbs capacity (boat deck)
- One cradle for 12'6" Zodiac YL380DL, 40hp Honda 4 stroke (boat deck)
- Two Life Rings with name and hailing port, 100 ft of line on each (side decks)
- Fenders with velour covers and monograms, multiple large sizes (foredeck & boat deck)
- Multiple one inch braided nylon dock lines (foredeck)