SC to CT Day 1
Myrtle Beach, SC to Little River, SC
This year our trip is filled with unknowns... Corona Virus is upon us and many marinas are closed and we fear that even the waterways may end up being closed to all boat traffic... All reports from boats cruising north have been positive and nothing stopping them from moving... many marinas allowing transients with restrictions on coming ashore and others still fully operational. We are planning on keeping very safe and anchoring away from everything and everyone... :)
We planned to leave in the morning but still had many odds and ends to finish... we wanted to top off the fuel and water tanks before we left... not sure if we will be able to get fuel and water as we move north. Fuel really would not be an issue but water could become an issue if we are not able to get more as we move north... reports have been good so we are hoping things do not change.
We left our dock and proceeded to the fuel dock at Osprey at approximately 1115 and by 1215 tanks were topped off and we were ready to go... departing at 1230.
This stretch of the ICW does not offer a lot of options for anchorages... very narrow waterway with virtually no tributaries... our first option for tonight is Calabash Creek, Little River, SC and then Bird Island also just north of Little River... checking the recent Army Corp of Engineer surveys we ruled out Calabash Creek due to shoaling at the entrance... this left Bird Island which is actually off the ICW located in the Little River Inlet just off the Atlantic Ocean... we opted to anchor there... and if weather and wind permits continue north tomorrow morning in the Atlantic Ocean... forecast at this point looks good for an offshore transit tomorrow.
There was quite a bit of small boat traffic on the ICW... being Saturday this was normal... but we were not sure with the SC restrictions for the Corona Virus... did not seam to stop many of them as we had dozens of them passing us all afternoon.
We arrived to Bird Island and dropped the hook adjacent to two other sailboats already anchored there. We were securely anchored at 1700.
Our location at N33°51.305’, W078°32.614’
. We traveled today for 4 hours and 30 minutes covering 29.8 nautical miles averaging 6.6 knots.
I just realized after entering the Google Maps location that we are in North Carolina... as we anchored we crossed over the state lines... :)