CT to FL Day 20
Charleston, SC to Port Royal, SC
We departed from St. Johns yacht harbor at 0730 this morning and began our trek south...
destination tonight planned for Beaufort, SC. We had another day of "yo-yo" currents and a lot of wind... saw gusts over 30 knots today. The wind was not a big issue since we were inland on the ICW... the only place that any waves had enough space to fetch up into anything significant size was on the Coosaw River just before Beaufort. We saw some 2-3 foot waves on that leg of the trip.
Other weather... RAIN and more RAIN... but north of us it was SNOW so can't really complain about it... just thankful we got far enough south to miss the SNOW. A few times the sun did try to shine but only for a few minutes.
We did cross paths again with the trawler we traveled with yesterday... not sure of the boat name spelling but it sounds like... "DORCAS ANN"... believe it is a 43 foot Albin. Very nice people aboard... they were ahead of us all day and we would see them from time to time in long straight stretches. We did talk on the VHF a couple of times... they stopped at Port Royal Landing Marina in Beaufort... we continued on for a couple more miles to Battery Creek.
We wanted to try a new spot... possible FREE dock at a restaurant... Dockside Restaurant in Port Royal on Battery Creek. We called them and said we could come to their dock with "SAILS" but after arriving we are wondering about the overnight dockage as there are signs stating "NO Overnight Dockage"... It's a seafood restaurant and from the reviews we read it should be pretty good.... we'll see.
We were securely docked at 1645 at N32°22.525', W080°41.775'. We traveled for 9.25 hours covering 61 nautical miles averaging 6.6 knots.
Posted at 5:19 PM
CT to FL Day 19
McClellanville, SC to Charleston, SC
We awoke this morning at 0530 for an early departure planning to go Beaufort, SC but found it to be very very foggy... could barely see the bow of the SAILS from the pilothouse windows. I already knew it was going to be dead low tide and could of dealt with the shallow water but this fog was something else. I went back to bed and set my alarm for 0630... sunrise was at 0700.
Alarm went off as set at 0630... I got up and checked to see if the fog seemed any better with the sun coming up very soon... I think it was actually worse than earlier. Dead low tide... pea soup think fog... we're not leaving today I thought to myself.
Checking the weather the forecast was for the fog to disappear around 1000 so we waited... waiting would also help with the tide... we had a good breakfast and about 0845 the fog appeared to be better as we could see maybe an 1/4 of mile down the canal... a lot of fishing boats had left so we made the decision... we're off... 0900 we tossed the dock lines and were underway out the canal toward the ICW.
We got into the ICW and the fog seemed to zoom in around us and we had less than 1/8 of a mile visibility... we continued slowly radar running and eyes staring into the mist.
The tide had come in quite a bit... the depth sounder was bouncing around between 6 and 7 feet... barely moving at 4.5 knots... it really sucked!
So, we moved on to plan B... scratched Beaufort and changed to Charleston. We wanted to stop at a marina that had a courtesy car so we could pick up some provisions... We would go to St. John's Yacht Harbor on the Stono River just south of Charleston.
About 6 miles north of Price Creek we heard a boat hailing another boat we had passed the day before... they switched from 16 to 68 on the VHF and we also switched to listen in and try and determine their location... the boat hailing was a trawler and they were hailing a sailboat we had passed yesterday... anyway, the sailboat was not hearing the trawler and they never connected on 68... the trawler was asking about fog conditions on the ICW... I hailed them and we switched to 68 and I reported the fog conditions to them as 1/8 visibility and they thanked me.
About an hour later we were just past Price Creek and I started getting a blip on the radar of a boat ahead of us... could not see it but it was there... we were catching it...as we got within visual range they hailed me... it was the trawler we had talked to earlier they had been anchored in Price Creek and had just left hoping things were better than I reported to them... we chatted for a minute or two and they asked me to take the lead and they followed me... sure not a problem. I passed and they stayed close behind us... in fact they followed us all day until we reached Charleston and the fog had cleared... then they passed and continued ahead of us down Wapoo Creek and through Elliot's Cut. We exited the cut and turned to port and they continued down the ICW. They too were headed to Beaufort tomorrow so our paths may cross again.
We arrived to St. John's Yacht Harbor and were securely docked at 1445. Our location approximately N32°45.225', W080°00.613'. We traveled for 5.75 hours covering 38 nautical miles averaging 6.6 knots.
We checked in at the marina office right away and registered for the courtesy car and we were off to Publix... Susan was excited to get to go to Publix for the first time since we left Punta Gorda in April.
Posted at 7:29 PM
CT to FL Day 18
Bucksport, SC to McClellanville, SC
Weather has turned COLD again... we thought we would not get any more COLD weather but it was 39 degrees when we left Bucksport Marina this morning at 0700.
It was a cold and gray day cruising down the Waccamaw River. Normally, this is a very pleasant area to cruise through but it was very dreary today. We did see some other boats traveling both north and south. One in particular I had seen most every day while we were in Stamford, CT this summer. "Wanderbird" a very large offshore style trawler that was docked at Brewer Yacht Haven East.
We had a fairly short day planned only going to McCellanville, SC and stopping at Leeland Oil Company. We have never stopped here and thought it would a nice change of pace. We arrived shortly after 1300 and docked on a large face dock. We were met by two people on the dock and a very friendly dog. she came aboard as soon as we were close enough for her to jump and she thoroughly inspected every nook and crevice of "SAILS"... LOL
We were secure at the dock at 1330 at N33°04.975', W079°27.743'. We traveled for 6.5 hours covering 46 nautical miles averaging 7.1 knots.
Posted at 2:08 PM