CT to GA Day 12
Coinjock, NC to Columbia, NC
Up bright and early at 0730 to check weather forecast... do we stay another day or go. Weather was much better but not great...The sun was out and winds were down to 15 to 20 knots. Forecast for Albemarle Sound was 1-2 ft seas with 10-15 knot NW winds in the morning. Afternoon was forecast winds switching to westerly and 10-15 knots... seas 1-2 feet. We decided to wait till later morning to depart and let the winds and seas calm down. All six boats that had been docked at Coinjock Marina across from us had already left.
We were underway at 1015 and winds were under 10 knots... where we left the dock there were virtually no waves... just a small swell created from opposing wind and current... The current was ripping... maybe 2 knots... made getting away from the dock interesting.
Passed a couple of sailboats as we headed south out of the North River... other than that we saw no other boats... heard a few ahead of on the VHF.
We exited the North River and headed out into the Albemarle Sound a little after noon and seas were about 2 feet and wind was still blowing out of the NW... it had increased back to 15-20 knots... Seas progressively increased as we headed across the Albemarle to the Alligator River. We had 3-4 seas as we turned into the Alligator River. So much for the forecast
We arrived to Alligator Marina at approximately 1350 and were securely docked at 1400. Our position tonight is N35°54.322', W076°01.718'
. We traveled today for 4 hours and 45 minutes covering 31.5 nautical miles averaging 6.6 knots.
Posted at 3:40 PM
CT to GA Day 11
Layover Coinjock, NC
We had rain and 30 to 50 knot winds overnight... weather slightly improved today but still having 20 to 30 knot north winds. With the Albemarle Sound just ahead of us, we decided to stay here in Coinjock another day. The Albemarle Sound can be very nasty... no need to venture out into what would be short 2-4 foot seas.
Posted at 11:54 AM
CT to GA Day 10
Great Bridge, VA to Coinjock, NC
Awoke at 0800 and checked the weather... the gale force wind warning had changed taking effect at 1300. Checked the current winds and the anemometer was reading 0 to 1 knot of wind... it was raining... actually it was wintery mix of snow and rain... 33 degrees outside. I woke up Susan and asked her if she wanted to stay or leave... we made the decision to leave... getting us just a little further south
We departed at 0930... planned destination as Midway Marina, Coinjock, NC... approximately 5 hours away.
Had no issues with bridges... Centerville Turnpike Bridge was on demand and we passed through at 0950... North Landing Bridge which I thought was also on demand on the weekends was still opening on the hour and half hour... not as issue since we cleared the Centerville bridge with 40 minutes to make the North Landing Bridge... we actually arrive about 5 minutes early for their 1030 opening.
Quite a few boats traveling south today... before we got away from the dock 3 boats passed us heading south and we had three other boats pass us along the way.
It was a dreary nasty cold day... virtually no wind until about 1200 when a heavy band of rain passed over us and with it winds... 10-15 knots at first and slowly reached a steady 25 knots with gusts to 40 knots... the seas began to increase and we had 2 hours to go. By the time we reached the lower portion of the Currituck Sound we had 3 to 4 foot seas. They were out of the NE so the ride was snot too bad... just a bit wiggly.
We arrived to Coinjock area at approximately 1345 and were securely docked at Midway Marina at 1400. Our position tonight is N36°21.082', W075°56.868'
. We traveled today for 4 hours and 30 minutes covering 31.6 nautical miles averaging 7.0 knots.
Posted at 2:59 PM