SAILS 1990 45 Florida Bay Coaster
Home Home
Quick Tour Quick Tour
Specifications Specs
Equipment Equipment
Stability Stability
Photos Photos
Cruising Logs Blogs
Contact Us Contact Us
 
SAILS....Cruising Blogs
Viewing category: Jay
«-Previous Page    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79   80   81   82   83   84   85   86   87   88   89   90   91   92   93   94   95   96   97   98   99   100   101   102   103   104   105   106   107   108   109   110   111   112   113   114   115   116   117   118   119   120   121   122   123   124   125   126   127   128   129   130   131   132   133   134   135   136   137   138   139   140   141   142   143   144   145   146   147   148   149   150   151   152   153   154   155   156   157   158   159   160   161   162   163   164   165   166   167   168   169   170   171   172   173   174   175   176   177   178   179   180   181   182   183   184   185   186   187   188   189   190   191   192   193   194   195   196   197   198   199   200   201   202   203   204   205   206   207   208   209   210   211   212   213   214   215   216   217   218   219   220   221   222   223   224   225   226   227   228   229     Next Page
Friday, 29 April 2022
FL to CT Day 41
Cape May, NJ to Barnegat Light, NJ
We awoke this morning at 0600 with high hopes that we would have calm seas… still had winds blowing 20-25 knots but they had been westerly for a few days… plan was to exit the inlet and check it out… if all was good to hug the coastline running north. We departed Utsch’s Marina at 0700 and headed toward the inlet.

Exiting the inlet, it was calm compared to our last couple of attempts a few days ago… once outside the inlet we turned north and stayed close to beach… running parallel to the beach about 1 mile off… it was really very nice… we had a small ground swell maybe 2 feet at most on our bow and the ride was acceptable… off to Atlantic City.

ETA to Atlantic City was approximately 1230… thought that was too early to stop so we looked at options further north… Manasquan was too far… going inside at Atlantic City and continue north on the NJICW… feared with the high winds we have had for a few days there would not be enough water… its skinny water going that way under normal conditions… only other option was Barnegat Light. We have not bee in or out of that inlet since we had our "incident" there several years ago… being so calm Susan agreed and we were bound for Barnegat Light… approximate ETA 1630.

There really was not any boat traffic today… a few recreational boats just outside some of the inlets fishing but nothing else… Well, there were some commercial boast/ships moving but nothing else… it was really windy, and the forecast was for 3 to 5 seas NW winds 20-25 knots with gusts to 30 knots… this forecast was spot on except for the 3 to 5 seas… maybe several miles offshore it was 3 to 5 but a mile off the beach it was just the 2 ft ground swell.

We arrived at Barnegat Light Inlet around 1615 and turned out of the deep water to the 10–12-foot water just outside the inlet… we had not seen anything large until the turn… the 2 ft ground swell got big when it hit the depth change… we had a couple of 4 to 5 footers rock us a bit until we were well into the shallower water… I was really surprised to see this happen… Susan was a little freaked out by it but soon we were well within the breakwaters and completely calm seas…

We continued inside and to the south to an anchorage we had been before and dropped the hook… secure at 1645... Our position is N39°45.129', W074°06.921'. We traveled today for 9.75 hours covering 68.7 nautical miles averaging 7 knots.
Posted at 5:34 PM
Thursday, 28 April 2022
FL to CT Day 40
Layover Cape May, NJ
Winds still blowing 25 knots plus... not moving today.
Posted at 12:23 PM
Wednesday, 27 April 2022
FL to CT Day 39
Layover Cape May, NJ
Very windy last night and today... gusts to 30 knots... looks like the winds are not settling down until Friday... stuck in Cape May waiting on mother nature.
Posted at 10:31 AM
«-Previous Page    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79   80   81   82   83   84   85   86   87   88   89   90   91   92   93   94   95   96   97   98   99   100   101   102   103   104   105   106   107   108   109   110   111   112   113   114   115   116   117   118   119   120   121   122   123   124   125   126   127   128   129   130   131   132   133   134   135   136   137   138   139   140   141   142   143   144   145   146   147   148   149   150   151   152   153   154   155   156   157   158   159   160   161   162   163   164   165   166   167   168   169   170   171   172   173   174   175   176   177   178   179   180   181   182   183   184   185   186   187   188   189   190   191   192   193   194   195   196   197   198   199   200   201   202   203   204   205   206   207   208   209   210   211   212   213   214   215   216   217   218   219   220   221   222   223   224   225   226   227   228   229     Next Page
Cruising Blogs
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31     

Keyword Search

Archives
Posted By
Home Quick Tour Specs Equipment Stability Photos Blogs Contact Us