CT to FL Day 19
Moorhead City, NC to Swansboro, NC
We left Moorhead City this morning at 0945. Destination for the day planned at Swansboro, NC about a 4 hour cruise.
About 45 minutes out I noticed the starboard engine temperature rising to above normal and shut it down. We continued on one engine. Current was against us and we making 4.5 to 5 knots. Just before Swansboro we did pick up the current and ran at over 7 knots for a few miles.
We arrived to Swansboro and docked at Caspers Marina at 1345. Our position tonight is N34°41.117', W076°07.265'
. We traveled today for 4 hours covering 21.2 nautical miles averaging 5.3 knots.
Our good friends Frank and Chris Erwin will joining us for dinner tonight aboard SAILS. Will be great to see them.
Posted at 1:27 PM
CT to FL Day 18
Oriental, NC to Moorhead City, NC
Up early this morning just at sunrise... Marina office opens at 0800 and they told they would have our bill for services ready by 0830.
We were off to the office at about 0830... paid the bill and were underway at 0910. Destination for the day Moorhead City. We are supposed to meet some very good friends Louis and Diane Wade there for dinner. Can't remember the last time we saw them.
We arrived to Moorhead city and docks at the Moorhead City Docks and were securely moored at 1255. Our position tonight is N34°43.148', W076°42.810'
. We traveled today for 3 hours and 45 minutes covering 26.3 nautical miles averaging 7.0 knots.
I spent an hour hosing off the sea gull poop from the finger pier... it was covered.. YUK!
Posted at 1:51 PM
CT to FL Day 17
Layover Oriental, NC
Another day layover in Oriental for Deaton Yacht Service to diagnose our engine trouble. They found the engine had water in the cylinders and when the first oil change was done a gallon of water was removed. The cause a defective exhaust anti vacuum/syphon air loop that was stuck and allowed the exhaust water to syphon back into the engine. Since the engine had never been started after the water intrusion the water had never mixed with the oil. They also felt that we "may" have a blown head gasket... but hydro carbon testing of the coolant was inconclusive to support this. Drained the exhaust hoses... Replaced the Vetus Air Loop... cleaned out the engine with a half dozen washes and oil changes. Tested everything again and tests for head gasket still inclusive to prove a blown head gasket and the boat ran fine on a sea trial... They also told me that my turbo needs to be serviced that they could see evidence that it may have the beginnings of bearing failure. Bottom line... we are back underway tomorrow morning with advice to not push the engines... which I never do anyway.
Posted at 4:15 PM