FL to CT - Day 41 - 44
Layover Brick, NJ
Due to weather and sea state we were unable to continue from Brick. NJ for 5 days. Seas at times to 10 feet. With approximately only 78 nautical miles to complete our trip.
I was to be to work by May 5th... unable to continue on SAILS we rented a car and drove to New York so that I could be there to work the 5th through the 8th.
Posted at 10:12 AM
FL to CT - Day 41
Bay Head, NJ to Brick, NJ
Checking long range forecast we did not see a break for at least a week...so we decided to find a marina. A few minutes of Googling and phone calls we found a fantastic location... Traders Cove Marina and Park in Brick, NJ a couple miles south of us.
All other marinas in the area were $3.00 a foot and S20 for electric... Traders Cove was $25 per night including electric...:)
We pulled the hook and left for Traders Cove... 45 minutes later we were docked totally protected from the winds.
Our position until the weather breaks Traders Cove Marina
. We traveled today for 45 minutes covering 1.8 nautical miles averaging 2.3 knots.
Posted at 8:08 AM
FL to CT - Day 40
Layover Bay Head, NJ
Waking this morning and checking the weather reports we found that conditions had not gotten better... in fact they had gotten worse and there was no chance of making the trip north to New York from Manasquan today. Winds were now NE 20-25 knots with gusts to 30 knots and seas increasing to 6-7 feet. This leg normally take us about 6 hours in good conditions seas and winds like this would slow the trip to 8-9 hours and beat the crap out of SAILS... it was just not safe to attempt this today. We will have to hold up here in Bay Head, NJ till conditions improve... :(
Posted at 9:39 AM